Built in 1917, the "Satterfield Motors" building located at 108 East Main in the historic district of New Roads, La., was the first permanent automobile dealership in Pointe Coupee Parish. This original building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, preserves the atmosphere of the original Ford automobile and its impact on America. Many of the original documents, pictures, and artifacts found sealed and forgotten in the attic, along with many other area historic items, are on display.
The romance of the automobiles displayed here was further enhanced by the location of the dealership of the banks of beautiful False River, a horseshoe scenic river that was an important shipping channel until separated from the Mississippi river by naturally changing river courses and the levee system. Even though Satterfield's Riverwalk now includes a restaurant featuring seafood and fine steaks, a public free boat landing, marina, retail shops, and lounge, fishermen may still be seen cane pole fishing off the piers and in boats on the famous shallow water "flats" just as they did several hundred years ago. Fresh food and homegrown vegetables, local handicrafts, and antiques, genuine, sincere hospitality and service are all part of Satterfield's statement to preserve the romance and friendliness the Pointe Coupee Parish area has exhibited since the French settled a colony here about 300 years ago.